To provide clarification, review and practice of speculation about past present and future using modals in the context of illnesses, sicknesses and diseases.
To provide gist reading practice using a text about people with health problems in the context of diseases.
Procedure (47-60 minutes)
- Linking with Murat's lesson, set context with these questions; "What happens if I drink very water when I am sweaty?" "What happens if I don't stop smoking?" "What happens if I don't eat breakfast everyday?"
- Give them the instructions to do exercise 1 in the handout to get them engaged in and focused on TL - Peer check the answers
- Clarify the target language (see the language analysis sheet)
- Get the students' focus back on the handout and get them to do the second exercise to help them see that they are better after the language clarification - Give feedback for correction or answers
- Put them in groups to talk about different people's health problems - Tell them to explain other people in the group what must / may / might / could / can't have happened to the people in the photos