A weekend break : hotels
To provide gist and specific information listening practice about the worst hotel in Britain
To provide a variety of vocabulary used to talk about hotels
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
- T shows a picture of a tourist in the airport. - T asks Ss Where she will stay to elicit the word hotel. - T shows a picture of best hotel and worst hotel in Turkey - T asks Ss which hotel she would prefer and why? - How long do people stay there? - How much do people pay for a hotel? - What is the difference between very cheap and expensive hotels?
- T tells Ss that they are going to stay in a seaside hotel in a nearby country. - T divides the class into two groups - T asks Ss to discuss and write the most important ten things that the hotel must have ICQS: 1. Will you read or listen? No, write 2. How many thing will you write? ten 3. how much time? three minute - T gets feedback and let the students write the names on the board
- T divides the class into two groups - T shows HO for matching the definitions of some words. - T asks Ss to match the definition on the board race activity ICCQs: 1.How many definitions? 8 2.Will you write? match or stick 3. How much time? 3 - T asks Ss to complete the form in activity 1 in PW ICQs: 1. Will you listen and write? No, read and write 2. How many gaps? 8 3.how much time? 2
- Ss look at the list of room and hotel facilities again and choose the four most important facilities in activity 2 - ICQs: 1. Will you write or choose? choose 2. How many facilities? the four most important 3. How much time? 2 minutes. - T gets feedback and any answer is correct - T asks Ss " Have you ever stayed in hotel before?" - T asks Ss to PW to do activity 4.
- T shows the picture of a hotel in Brighton and asks them would you like to stay there or not to elicit any information Ss can see - T tells Ss that they will listen to part of a radio programme in which two people stay at this hotel. - T asks Ss to listen to the opening of the programme to find: 1. the name of the programme? The holiday programme 2. the name of the hotel? The king Edward 3. The names of two people? Nicki and Gavin ICCQs: 1. Will you listen to the whole listening? only the opening 2. How many thin will you find? 3 3. What are they? names of hotel-programme-people - T asks Ss to check in pairs - T get feedback
- T asks Ss to listen to the recording and tick the problems that they had - Ss check in PW - T gets the feedback
- T asks Ss to listen again and put the events in the correct order. - Ss check in pairs. - T get the feedback on the board
- T asks Ss to retell the story to their partners. - Ss work in pairs.