Teaching Practice 5
To provide practice and clarification of furniture through guided discovery in the context of rooms and things in a house.
To pre - teach vocabulary that Ss may not be aware of.
To provide fluency speaking practice using functional language in the context of Furniture (rooms and things in a house)
Procedure (47-60 minutes)
- T asks "what furniture do you have in your house?" (eg. sofa) Ss give some answers. - T shows them the WB with the vocabulary items on. In pairs for 2-3 minutes Ss will name as many items as possible that they know. - T asks for some FB from the class
- Teacher asks Ss to read question 1. Ss match the words in bold to A-E on the picture of the flat. - Ss check their answers in pairs. - T checks answers with the whole class. T asks why Ss chose their answer. - T asks Ss to look and read question 2. - T points out furniture is an uncountable noun. - T tells Ss to match the words with numbers 1 - 18 on their worksheet. - Ss check their answers in pairs. - T points out a sink is in the kitchen, but a washbasin is in the bathroom. - T tells Ss the difference between a cooker and cook (a person) - T gives answer key.
- T goes over any words which may have caused ss to have difficulty with. - Drill words such as furniture, kitchen, rug, desk, wardrobe, sink, etc - T shows how to write the words phonetically, asks where stress is, and asks how many syllables. -
- T asks Ss to write their own sentences - " In my house I have...... " (a fridge) - Ss then walk around the classroom asking their peers what is in their house, and using the sentences they've written. -T monitors. - Next the pictures of the vocabulary will be show again on the WB. T puts Ss into two groups, T tells students they have to find and circle an item of furniture which the teacher has chosen. - The Ss in their teams race to the board to try and find the word the quickest.
- Ss together in pairs will match the pictures of the vocabulary with the words. - T monitors and checks their answers. - T gives Ss a fill in the gap activity with the vocabulary they've been learning this lesson. - T asks Ss to check their answers in pairs. - T goes through the answers for FB.