To provide clarification of 'comparatives' in the context of 'family and friends'
To provide accuracy while making comparisons in SS' daily life
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Referring to the previous reading SS have completed, show the family photo of Marilyn Scott's and ask SS which one is Harry and which one is Tom. (Appendix 1) - As a warm up, I will take some sentences from the text, especially the ones which have 'comparatives' inside and want them to make comparisons between Harry and Tom. e.g. Tom is easier to live with than Harry. Harry is a lot noisier and more aggressive than Tom. Harry is harder to live with. CCQs - Do you think Tom is easier to live with? (YES) - Do you think Harry is harder to live with? (NO)
- Underline the comparatives in the sentences and ask SS what can these be. Try to elicit from SS but if they do not say it, do not push it. (Comparative: the form of an adjective or adverb that expresses a difference in amount, number, degree, or quality) - Ask SS In which situations we can use 'comparatives'. Try to elicit from them again but if they won't say it, don't push it. (Their level is low) We use comparatives to make comparisons at least between two things. -Teacher shows SS the grammar rules via using HO (Appendix 2) -Teacher gives the rules and elicits examples from the SS e.g. a) We use '-er' to make comparatives of adjectives of one syllable - Old->older
- Write adjectives on the board (EASY - AGGRESSIVE - GOOD - OLD - MATURE - BIG - BAD), show the paper cuts that you have prepared previously and say these are the comparative forms of these adjectives. (Appendix 3) - Make at least two examples to show them how they can match paper cuts and adjectives on the board and after let them make their guesses (ıf it goes wrong lead them). - After finishing it, make a whole class drilling.
- Now, I want you to write about Harry and Tom while using these comparatives (make them pairs) such as in the examples we did previously. (Show them the board and paper cuts) you have got 5 minutes. ICQs -Are we going to write our sentences down? (YES) -Are we going to talk about Tom and Harry? (YES) -Do you have 5 minutes? (YES) / - While they are writing, collect their errors. - Peercheck / - Write their errors on the board and ask SS if they can correct them in pairs after they finish, make them compare their answers with other pairs.
- Now I want you to choose one person from your families and talk about them. (monitoring) ICQs - Are you going to talk about your families? (YES) - Are you going to use comparatives? (YES) -Collect their errors while they are talking - Who has found anything interesting about their family members? (listen to them) -Error correction.