Countries and Nationalities
To provide clarification of countries,nationalities and languages
To provide fluency and accuracy in the context of countries, nationalities and languages
Procedure (48-61 minutes)
- Show a picture of Turkish actor and actress. 'Where are they from?' ' They are from Turkey. (Show on the map and the flag) -Ask the question to one student then make elicitation. T: 'Where are you from?' S: I'm from Turkey.' 'You 're from Turkey. OK. Good. Turkey is a .... (Elicit the answerS) Ss: Country!
-Go through all the countries listed in ex.1 by showing the flags one by one and also showing on the map. T: Burak Özçivit is from Turkey. He is a .... (Elicit answers.If no answer appears , tell them.) Ss: Turk! T: Perfect! 'Turk is ...' (Elicit answers. If no answer appears , tell them) Ss: Nationality! T: Good! -Drive the difference between country and nationality. T: Turkey. Is this a place or person? Place. Turk. Is this a place or person? Person. - Show the ex.1 on the board T: Match the words alone. ICQ: Alone or together? Alone. (Hand them the ex) T: Check the answers with your partners. (Show the answer key for FB) T: Listen and repeat. (Play Recording 5.10) - Show the stress on each word by putting a circle on the stressed sound.
- Show the ex 11 on workbook Show them the number of syllables and stress on each word through the examples in the ex. (English and Japanese) Get them realize the stress by putting it on different syllables in turn. England England (The word Arabic is present here. Show the picture of Arabic writing and ask T: Is this person? Is this language? ) T: You have 3' Write the words in the correct part . ICQ: How much time do you have? 3' (Hand SS the ex) T: Check with your partner. (Show the answer key on the board) - Show ex 12 on workbook . T: Complete the sentences with a nationality word. Do it yourself. You have 3'. ICQ: Alone or together? How much time do you have? T: Check your answers with your partners. (Show the answer key on the board.)
-Drill chorally. ' What nationality are you?' 'I'm a Turk' -Drill one student in Q and a second student in an answer to that Q. The two Ss repeat their Q and answer exchange with the rest of the class listening. -Turn to whole class and ask: T: 'What nationality is he? (Donald Trump) Ss: He is American. (Drill chorally.) -Demonstrate the activity. Ask two Ss come and join you. Drill Q and answer. Now 3 of you have the same pic. Ask and answer . 'What nationality is he?' 'What nationality are they?' 'I think, he is ....' 'They are ...' -Split Ss into groups by giving numbers from 1 to 5. T: Who is number 1? Put your hands up. Stand up and come here.(pointing to a corner) (Do this with all the numbers) T: You have 3'. Talk about your pic. ICQ: Listening or speaking? Speaking (Give the pics to each student) -Regroup Ss by giving each student in the groups letters from A-C. Now Ss with different pics come together. T: Show your pic and ask Qs. You have 4' ICQ: How much time do you have?
- T: In Turkey, people speak .... (Elicit the answers from Ss) Ss: Turkish. T: Good! Is this a country or language? Ss: Language. - Go through the pronunciation and stress of the languages listed in ex.3 and drill the words chorally
- Show the pic of Arabic writing and the country Egypt with pyramids and elicit answers. T: In ...., people speak ..... (Show ex.3 again ) T: Match the countries and languages. ICQ: Will you match or listen? Match T: Check your answers with your partners. T: Listen and check your answers.
-Drill the Q in ex.4 T: 'What language do they speak in Brazil?' 'Portuguese' Get Ss drill the Q and answer in open pairs. 'What language do they speak in Egypt? 'Arabic' T: Look at the countries in the list (show on the board).Ask and answer Qs with your partner. -Monitor and check for the correct use of Q form and pronunciation of countries and languages. -Error correction on the board if necessary.
- 'Board Rush' game -Split Ss into two groups (Group A and B) -Flags of the the countries on the board -Demo the activity.(Shout a country and go touch it. Now talk about the country, nationality and language of that country) Ex. This is America. The people are American. They speak English.