Teaching Plan 8
To practice speaking for fluency in the context of catching a cold
To learn lexis related to the context.
Procedure (38-51 minutes)
- Sts will be shown the realia and asked what the context is. WC, 3 min.
- T tells a story to explain the difficult words. T uses ECDW. WC, 3 min, feedback peer checking and T if necessary. - Sts do the fill in the blanks task. PW, 2 min, feedback peer checking
- Sts discuss the questions in task number 2. PW, 4 min, feedback WC - Sts do the matching exercise. T divides the board in three (doctor, chemist, calling in sick) and sts hang the papers with the 'matching sentences' under the appropriate group. WC, 4 min, feedback peer checking
- Sts do the role-play exercise. First the class is divided into two groups. One group gets to be the boss, doctor and chemist one by one while the other group is the patient. After the groups decide on what they will say to the other group's members, everyone works in pairs and do the role-play. T monitors and helps sts when they can't express themselves. PW, 12 min.
- In groups sts will design a sickness. They will be asked to use the new vocabulary. Sts will be deciding the name, symptoms and the cure of the sickness. In the end each group presents their sickness. GW, 10 min, feedback whole class