In A Different Country - Plural Nouns
To provide clarification of basic nouns and noun plurals in the context of "a different country"
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a pronouncing plural nouns in the context of "a different country"
Procedure (30-46 minutes)
(1) Write name on the board, gesture towards myself and say "My name is Magz" (2) Also, briefly revise over each students name, gesture towards them
(1) Point to picture A on handout, and elicit information regarding what students see. (2) Pair students and tell them to talk about what they see in each picture with their partner
(1) Show students list of nouns (Exercise 2- pg 22); tell them that these things are in the pictures (2) Ask them to match the words to the pictures (Individual) (3) Compare answers with a partner (4) Go through answers as a class (5) Draw attention to Exercise 3 (pg 22) (6) Do question 1 as a class as an example (use of gesturing to elicit answer) (7) Get students to work on their own to complete Exercise 3 (8) Check answers with partners (9) Check answers as a class
(1) Grammar Focus (2) Draw attention to the Grammar box on the right-hand side of worksheet (3) Highlight regular nouns (including ending in "s", ending in "y") and then irregular forms.
(1) Tell them they are going to have a listening; use 'gestures' to indicate that they should listen and repeat after each word. (2) Play first word, pause, Say the word with gestures (3) Gesture for them to repeat (4) Play the rest of the recording and gesture when they should repeat
(1) Draw attention to Exercise 4 and use gesturing (2) Work through example 1 as a class (3) Elicit the answer for example 1 (4) Get students to work through the rest of the exercise individually (5) Check answers in pairs (6) Check answers as a class
NB if low on time this can be given as homework (1) Draw attention to the pictures in Exercise 1 (pg 14) (2) Elicit answer for A, get students to complete the rest of the exercise (3) Pair check (4) Check as class (5) Repeat above format for Exercise 2: draw attention to the plurals (6) Hand out vocabulary list for students' personal reference to complete lesson