Deren Dogan TP8
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about complaints about phones in the context of telephoning.
To provide clarification and practice of words related with telephoning.
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
1. Ss will see pictures of old phones. 2. They will be asked if they have used phones similar to the one in the photos and if they still use them. 3. The questions will lead to the usage of smart phones. Then they will be asked if they have smart phones. 4. They will be given a set of questions and asked to discuss the questions in groups (HO1, also PPT).
1. The keywords from the reading text will be elicited from the Ss. 2. After eliciting, they will also have HO with all the words and meanings in it (HO2). 3. Then, Ss will work with a partner. They will list the things that they dislike about phones. They will be asked to take notes because they will use them later while reading.
1. Ss will be asked to choose a suitable title for the text. The titles will be on the board. a)Restrictions about phones. b)What people like about phones. c)Complaints about phones. 2. Ss will read the text for the first time, but first, they will be asked to read the titles. 3. Ss will discuss which title is suitable for the text as a whole class.
1. Ss will use their notes which are taken during the pre-reading stage. 2. They will read the text again, and check if the text mentions any of the things on their list. 3. After reading, they will check with groups. They will discuss which of the things they have in common with the text and also with their groups. 4. They will be asked to discuss in pairs "how many of the things mentioned in the article sometimes happen to you?"
1. Ss will be divided into groups according to their numbers. 2. They will be given two sets of paper (questions with gaps and words) and asked to match them as a group. 3. After they finish, they will be given HO with all the questions they match (HO4). 4. They will be asked to choose 3 questions from the HO and then discuss with their pairs (HO5). 5. Answers will be checked as WC.
1. Ss will be asked to write if they think that there should be places where mobile phones are not allowed, and why? 2. After writing, they will switch papers and check what their peers think. 3. At the end, WC discussion will be held. They will be asked whether they agree or disagree with each other.