TP 8: Laughter
To provide gist, specific information and detailed listening practice using a text about canned in the context of l
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of la
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- I let students watch a video for 7 seconds about laughter yoga; - Ss should guess what the people on the video doing; - I listen to their ideas and let them wonder until the end of the lesson the topic of the video.
- Ss look at two questions; - in groups of 3 Ss discuss the questions; - listen to one or two particularly amusing incidents as a whole class, if Ss are happy to share the ideas. e.g. Can you remember the last time you really laughed? What was the reason? - read out the proverb loudly; - Ss work in pairs to interpret what they mean and to think of any to think of any other example Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep alone - find out from the Ss what they know about canned laughter (writing the phrase up on the board); - ask the Ss a few questions: When do you think canned laughter was first used? Why was it introduced? Do you think it is still used today? - Ss discuss in groups. If they don't know the answers to some questions I tell Ss that we will find out after listening to the text.
- ex. 1 the listening starts off with canned laughter from an audience; - play the recording and ask who is laughing; (the audience) - ex. 2 (Ss read the list of eight points before playing the recording) - Ss listen and check in pairs before feedback.
- ex. 3 Ss listen again and record relevant details; - monitor to see how much they have understood and noted down; - if Ss need I will replay some parts of the recording; - Ss compare their notes in pairs and get the feedback
- Ss discuss the questions of ex.4 - monitor and pick up on any points of interest, for the whole class feedback. - to introduce different kinds of laughing I ask Ss to listen and then match the verbs describing laughings to their definitions; - Ss discussing in pairs; - Ss get a feedback; - remind Ss about the video from the beginning of the lesson and let them watch it a few minutes more; - ask Ss how laughter can help them in life; - Ss are divided into three groups to discuss this task for a minute; - give Ss a feedback in PP; - ask Ss to create the list of opportunities to laugh or make your mood better.