TP 6: Expresing feelings
To provide clarification, review and practice of adjectives and verbs expressing feelings in the context of emotions
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation and discussion in the context of emotions
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
1) the projector is prepared to work; 2) I greet Ss and start the lesson; 3) I give students the situations when I feel bored, excited and what annoys me; 4) then I ask Ss to discuss in pairs the questions for 1 minute (Slide 1) - What makes you feel bored? - When were you excited last time? - What annoying habits does your friend have? 5) Ss are asked to give the name the topic of the lesson
1) Ss have 30 seconds to look through the situation about Ben; 2) find and underline the words which express Ben's mood and feelings. 3) I ask Ss to answer some of my questions: - Is Ben happy? (No) - Is he excited about his job? (No) - Does he have the energy to do all that paper work? (No) - Does he think about changing it?
1) I pay Ss' attention to the Slide number 3, explain the difference between verbs and adj. with -ed and -ing endings. I give them some examples Verb - to bore adjectives - bored / boring e.g. This programme bores me. This programme is boring. I’m bored with watching this programme.
1) I pay Ss' attention to the Slide number 3, explain the difference between verbs and adj. with -ed and -ing endings. I give them some examples Verb - to bore adjectives - bored / boring e.g. This programme bores me. This programme is boring. I’m bored with watching this programme. 2) I remind Ss that the rules of pronunciation -ed with adjectives are the same as for regular past tense. 3) we pronounce some of the words: annoy - annoyed /d/ irritate - irritated /ıd/ depress - depressed /t/
1) I organise the Ss into groups; 2) Ss receive the cards with verbs and their definitions, their task is to match them quickly; 3) after 2 minutes I ask students to go to other groups and check their variants; 4) Ss get their printed feedback. 5) Ss do ex.A individually. Their task is to use the correct form of the given words and complete the sentences. 6) I play the audio for Sts to listen and check. 7) ex. C - Ss need to use appropriate forms of adj. which cannot be used with -ing; 8) Ss have 2 minutes time to complete the gaps. 9) Ss check answers in pairs and elicit which syllable is stressed. 10) I do model and drill the pronunciation of the adjectives.
1) Ss discuss in groups the picture of the woman from the WB p.33. They have to predict what feelings she has not only at the moment but in general (use target language); 2) Ss complete the sentences with an adjective or a verb made from the word in bold. 3) Checking in pairs; 4) Students move around the class to look for the answers.
1) Using the target language of the lesson Ss chose three situations and discuss in groups of three. 2) I do Monitoring and make notes of Ss' mistakes; 3) feedback