Thank you & Farewell TP8
Beginner A1-A2 level
To provide productive writing practice in the context of writing a thank you letter to a teacher
To provide clarification of positive adjectives (vocabulary) for students to use in their writing in the context of a thank you letter
To provide reading and speaking practice, sharing different ideas in letters of the different teachers in the context of a thank you letter
Procedure (44-49 minutes)
1. T to walk into class and give each student, peers and lovely tutor :) a gift and expect them to say Thank you!!! 2. Ss to watch a youtube video of people (celebrities) thanking their teachers so students can have an idea of what lesson will be about and to ask Ss before playing the video to note down some things the people have said about their teachers / or Plan B (as above in anticipated problems) 3. Ask students in groups to discuss what they like about teachers in general and what a teacher can do for them 3. Short WCFB 4. Ask Ss what they would usually do on the last day for their teacher??
1. T to show modal thank you letter to students on WB and ask what things T has said about their own teacher - Discuss in pairs 2. Teacher to ask what the text is - Elicit that it is a thank you letter to teacher 3. T to elicit what tense it is written in (past) and ask why? Mark on WB (as it is a farewell letter and last lesson together)
1. H/O of matching the adj. to the simplified meaning 2. Give answer key - Compare in groups 3. Monitor to see which words Ss are having a common problem with and ask CCQs to clarify meaning 3. Very short FB
1. T will provide cut ups of modal letter where Ss will have to arrange the order of the letter to clarify the structure of a thank you letter - work in groups 2. Ss to get up and check other groups 3. WCFB and answer key on board
-GIVE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS STAGE - Demo 1. T to have cut ups of names of the 6 teachers (Arash, Hossein, Tooba, Hakan & Naz) and letter to Ss 2. Each pair will choose a paper with 1 teacher's name and not tell anyone who they have 3. T. to have modal letter on WB with blanks and adjectives with meanings on the bottom to help them write their own letter 4. Ss then discuss and share ideas about the teacher they picked from bag and what adjectives suit them and to then write a Thank you letter to this particular teacher WITHOUT writing their name!!!! ICQ! 4. T to monitor and note down common errors Ss are making as they are writing 5. Do error-correction whilst writing if there are common mistakes so Ss can fix their letters
1. T had noted down some common errors during Ss discussion and writing (structure, lexis etc.) 2. Write common errors WB > error correction
1.T to then get the letters (making sure there is no name of the teacher) and stick them on the walls as a gallery and then Ss to walk around and read them and try and guess who it is about 2. Ss to write in their pairs who they think the letter is about in the blanks of the letters 3. Ss to discuss which letter would suit which teacher 4. WCFB 5. Once figured out who letters are for, Ss can give letters to the teachers :) 6. and.... Thank you!