Beginner A1 level
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about family, education, work and ambitions in the context of people's lives
To provide clarification in the context of life events.
Procedure (41-51 minutes)
- The teacher starts the class with a story about his life and shows that it is about milestones in our life and plans for future.
- The teacher asks the students to do the first part of the vocabulary handout. - The students should begin by doing it individually and only later should they check their answers in groups. - The teacher gives them the answer key and asks them to check their answers. - Now the students should do the second part of the vocabulary handout. - Again they should do it individually at first and later check it together. - The teacher gives them the answer key and asks them to check their answers.
- The teacher divides the class into groups suitable for jigsaw reading. - One or two groups read text A and one or two groups read text B. - The teacher starts by giving text A and B to groups and asks them to do the gist question. - The students read the texts and answer the gist question individually. - After that, the students should talk in groups and agree on an answer. - The teacher shows the answer on the whiteboard. - Then the students receive the detailed questions and try to answer them according to the text individually. -When they have done that, they talk in their groups and try to agree. - The teacher gives the answer key to the students. - The teacher asks the students to tell their group members about the text they read. In this way they become prepared to tell other groups about their text.
- Now the teacher asks the students to sit at a different desk. The groups are so arranged that every group has members from the other group. - The students from other groups share their information. The other group should have the answers to the questions according to the information from the other group. - Feedback: Students tell the class what they learned from the other group.
- The teacher shows a model writing on the whiteboard. - The students write about their life. - The teacher hangs the writings on the wall and asks the students to read each others' texts.