Integrated Receptive skills
To provide gist, specific information and detailed listening practice using a text about couch surfing.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation
Procedure (45 minutes)
1) Show Ss the CouchSurfing logo - ask them if any of them are familiar with it. 2) Tell them to have a look at the definition of CouchSurfing that's given on pg 45. 3) Show them the CouchSurfing website to get a feel of what it is.
1) Get the students in pairs and have them think about the questions in ex 2 on pg 45 and let them discuss and guess the answers 2) They can make notes
1) Nationality (noun) Q to S - I am pakistani, my country is ? (Elicit Pakistan), tell them nation is another word for country and nationality is the noun. Q to Ss so what would my nationality be? (Stress is above Na) 2) Traveller (noun) - Q to SS -what do you call a person who likes going to different countries? Traveller (Stress is above tra) 3) Website (noun)- on the internet (you've already shown them the website of CouchSurfing and most would be familiar with what a website is (stress is above web) 4) kitchen (picture, previously done by mary) 5) cooker (n) // 6) bathroom (n) // 7) shower (n) // 8) bath (n) // 9) bedroom (n) // 10) living room (n) // 11) couch (n) 12) lamp (n) 13) meal (n) -she wants to cook her hosts a meal...it is something to eat
1) The students read and listen to the CouchSurfing project and check the predictions that they made in the previous step. 2) They read and listen solo and check for predictions in pairs later
1) Tell the students that they will be listening to a conversation between a CouchSurfer (Clare) and a local person (Beth), they need to figure out which one is which. 2) They will listen to the audio again and this time they will write the vocabulary of rooms and furniture that they hear a) couch/sofa b) lamp c) kitchen d) living room e) bathroom f) bedroom
1) Divide the class into two groups 2) Provide the students with starter sentences on numbered pieces of paper 1) Hi you must be Laura 2) I'm .. 3) Welcome to Paris.. 4) I'm so excited to be here 5) Let me show you around my house 6) Ok great 7) Well, this is my living room 8) Oh nice and that must be the couch.. 9) Yes, and here is the kitchen.. 10) That is a nice kitchen 11) This is my bedroom and the bathroom is this way.. 12) You have lovely house.. 13) ... 14) ... The last 2-3 pieces of the conversation the Ss would be asked to come up with themselves like in a natural conversation