Vocabulary about Tourism and Advertisement
To provide clarification of travel vocabulary in the context of tourism and advertisement
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation and role-playing in the context of tourism and advertisement
Procedure (40-53 minutes)
1. Start talking about holiday plans for the summer. Mention that Booking.com's validity has been deactivated in Turkey. Try to elicit some comments. 2. Tell the students to focus on what they are about to feel about the video they will be introduced shortly. Show them the video and ask them to tell their feelings and to try to come up with some words which might be related to the video: - What are your feelings about the place? - Is this a crowded place or a place of peace and silence? - What do you prefer when you go on a holiday? Lots of activities or just lying at the beach and enjoying serenity?
1. Tell the students to divide into four groups. Explain to them how the activity works. Give them the handouts and tell them they have 5 minutes: - Think about the words you thought and look at these explanations. - Match the explanations to the words and word groups. 2. Monitor them and give some little hints where necessary. 3. When they finish, tell them to flip the pieces. Look at them: If the pictures are set correctly, then they have succeeded. If not, tell them to work on it again.
1. When students finish matching, tell them to work in pairs and try to place the newly presented vocabulary to their correct places in the text and give them handouts. Tell them they have 5 minutes. - Do you remember the video? What was the name of the place? - Here is a text. But the words are missing. Put the words to where they belong. 2. Monitor them silently. 3. When they finish, tell them to come to the board and write the answers to the blanks on the text reflected on the board. Elicit approval from the classroom. 3. Focus on the words and word groups and drill them chorally and individually.
1. Tell the students to divide into two groups. Explain to them that you are no satisfied with the vocabulary and want to know more. Ask if they want to. then give them to words. Choose two students from the groups - one from each- and give them both the words and the meanings. Tell the groups that they each have 3 minutes to complete the exercise. The students on the board will start to read the definitions and the group will try to find the meaning. 2. When they finish, swap the papers of the groups and reflect the answers on the board. Provide clarification should the need arise. 3. Drill the newly presented vocabulary chorally and individually.
1. Tell the students to work in pairs. Ask them to turn their chairs to the other pairs to make a group of four. 2. Give them their roles. Tell them that first pair will be the tour company staff and try to sell the holiday on their hands. The other pair will listen and write down some notes. And the listeners will stand up and go to the other tour company staffs and listen to their offer. 3. Let them work on their roles for five minutes. Ask them specifically to use both Lexis groups they learned during the lesson. 4. After five minutes, tell them to start. Play a song in the background which would remind summer. Monitor them and interrupt if necessary. 5. When they are finished, ask the listeners to talk about the holiday advertisements and which one(s) they would prefer to choose.