To provide clarification, review and practice of countries and nationalities in the context of travel
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of travel
Procedure (43-62 minutes)
- T asks who have traveled? and where? - T shows pictures of traditional activities or people in national costumes and elicit words from Ss - with each picture (depending on content) T ask: where is this? or who are those people? - if the Ss guess right, T show the next picture. - if the Ss can not guess, they check with partner to see what they think. - with each targeted word, T drill and ask CCQ
- T give Ss plane tickets and asks them to keep it faced down. - T explain the instructions, each student travel to his/her destination (Flags on the walls around the classroom) and explain that this is his/her home country
- T demonstrate the task, then asks ICQ to make sure they understand the task - T monitors Ss and check if they are struggling with anything - T instructs Ss to check in pairs and ask each other: where are you from? other S will respond: I am from "country", I'm "nationality" - T asks Ss who are "at their destination" what language do you speak? which will activate schemata about languages in each country and keep generating interest and engagement
- T mark the form on the WB: where are you from? I'm from Turkey what's your nationality? I'm Turkish Are you Turkish? Yes, I am No, I'm German - T drill and use CCQ to make sure Ss understand what they are saying - T clarify any of the issues that learners had with meaning, form, and pronunciation (if any)
- T give Ss random nationalities, and asks not to show to each other. - T give "fine someone" paper to each student, and instruct students to only ask one question at a time and the other student answers once, then they will move on to the next S and so on. - Ss will complete the task by writing the name of the person they found that matches what they want on their list (find someone) - T monitors without interfering and answer any questions if any.