News: Unreal Conditionals
Intermediate B1 level
To provide clarification and practice of unreal conditionals in the context of breaking news and protests
To provide review of real conditionals in the context of breaking news.Comparison and speaking practice together with unreal conditional
Procedure (45-60 minutes)
1. T. shows the small video of Bill Gates with cake in his face 2. T. asks a question what would Ss do in the Bill Gate's situation. S. discuss in pairs 3. WC FB. SS tell about another person.
1. T. gives Ss copies of texts 4 and 5 from the reading activity and asks to find and underline the sentences where people would like to change smth. Ss work individually and then compare in pairs
1. T. puts sentences on the WB "If we had courts that fair to men, we would be able to see 2. T. asks Ss to turn the copies on the other side and answer the questions and compare in pairs. After WC FB on the WB
1. T takes WC FB and highlights the answers on the WB. 2. T. puts two similar sentences on the board: If you went to Istanbul you would see the Bosphorus. If you go to Istanbul, you will see the Bosphorus. 3. SS discuss in groups what is the difference. 4. WC FB on the WB 5. T. elicits the form from the Ss 6. SS do an exercise choosing between real and unreal conditionals.SS compare answer with another partner 7. T gives Ss the answer key 8. WC FB on some options with both possible and why. 9. T elicits some examples on the WB and shows how the clauses can switch. T elicits the answer from the SS
1. T gives exercise 1. Ss do and group-check with answer keys and WC FB 2. SS do the ex 2, check in groups and compare with answer key 3. T drills the intonation and pronunciation 4. T elicits how to answer the conditional sent.
1. Ss mingle in the class asking questions to each other. 2. T monitors. 3. Error correction on the board
1. Ss work in groups and do sentence chaining in small groups. 2. WC FB