Speaking and grammar
A2-B1 Pre-intermediate level
To provide speaking practice through conversation in the context of What's your advice?"
To provide clarification of the modal verb "should" of in the context of "What's your advice?"
Procedure (30-45 minutes)
1. Put pictures on board 2. Ask what are the people doing? 3. What is the same in all the pictures? 4. I'm going to give you three minutes, talk in your groups and decide what is happening in the pictures 5. SS talks 6. Feedback - what did you think? Try to elicit "advice", give it if they cant.
1. Give SS the reading exercise, "Dear Annie!" 2. Read the exercise, I will give you 2 minutes, to see what problems these people have. 3. Speak in groups - What were the problems the people had? 4.Feedback - Nominate a few SS to tell me the problems 5. In groups think of advice for these people 6. SS discuss it 7. Listen to see if you were right. 8. Play 8.4 9. Do peer checking 10. You listened, now complete the sentences using the words in the box. 11. Give the gap-fill 12. We listen again, check if your answers are right 13. Feedback - Are we clear? Any problems?
1. Give grammar HO 2. Look at the exercise and discuss the grammar with your group 3. SS talk 4. While SS talk write Negative and Question on the whiteboard 5. Let's look at the grammar. 6. Which of the sentences has the stronger advice? Say sentences out loud. Answer - B 7. Should and must are modal verbs, how do we make a negative with it? 8. Nominate a student to write a negative sentence on the board 9. How do we make a question with it? 10. Nominate a student to write a question on the board 11. Drill four sentences: He must get professional help You should show him this letter What should I do? You shouldn't worry about this
1. Give folded HO for semi controlled practice. 2. Pair SS 3. Look at the top part of the exercise. The first example:"I can't sleep at night" Elicit the answers from SS - You must do more exercise. - You shouldn't drink drink so much coffee. 4. Now work together in pairs to give advice for the seven other problems. 5. SS talk 6. Compare your answers 7. Feedback - nominate a few SS to give answers of two or three problems. 6.
1. Let's practice this in speaking - give me some advice - I want to learn Turkish, what should I do? Elicit some answers from SS 2. Unfold the HO. In pairs you take turns to give advice for the problems on the handout, using "should/shouldn't" 3. SS speak 4. Monitor - listen to the advice given. Write down some of the good advice, as well as errors made 5. Feedback - If errors write on the board and go through, some delayed error correction.