TP2- Family Life / 5- READING
Intermediate, mixed age group level
To provide gist, detailed, scan, deduction and inference reading practice using a text about having siblings or being an only child in the context of family life
To provide clarification, review and practice of fixed expressions, collocations, nouns in the context of family life
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a coversational in the context of family
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
- I will project a picture which shows me and my sister on the board and tell about me and my sister. Personalize the context. * We have 9 years differences between our ages. When I was 9, she was and 18 and it was not working well because of the differences between our ages but when we get older we became more close to each other ( highlight) and we became best friends.
- I will show another picture of 2 brothers and sisters and one child on the other picture dividing the board in 2. - Ask to whole class and elicit the opinions about the pictures. CCQ: What do you see in these two pictures? / What is the differences between those? - Project the question " Which do you think has more advantages, being an only child, or having brothers and sisters? / Why?
- First tell them that we are going to read different articles written by a journalist about siblings and discuss those. - show them the papers ( A and B- in different colors) - Tell them that A's is going to read The Younger Brother, B' is going to read The only child. - Group them as A and B -Set the time for 3mins - ICQ: Are we reading quickly? Yes / Who is reading Text The Younger Brother? A/ Who is reading the text named only child? B - Distribute the papers. - Make sure that they understand the task and if they don't, give another instruction. - Ask the A's come together and B's as well. - Ask all the A's talk to each other and discuss what they read on the task and the same for B's. ( time limited conversation- 3 mins) - Monitor them and check if they are talking about the right things and correct them if necessary. - Then regroup them according to the numbers behind the papers. ( ex A1- B1, A2- B2) - Tell them that look at behind the page and see the numbers find each others pairs accordingly. - Give another instruction that A and B's are going to talk with each other and discuss about what they read on their texts. (3-4 mins) - Ask nominated students about the texts from A and B.
- Give instruction that I will ask 2 questions regarding the text and they will work in pairs. - Project the questions on the board 1 & 2 from the ex c -Ask them to discuss with their partner's about the 1 and 2 " Who is happier?" - ICQ: - Are we going to read again? No / Are we going to work in pairs? Yes - Set the time for 3 mins - Elicit the answers from nominated students.
- Tell the students that they are going to re-read the both texts and I will give them a task to match the highlighted words in the text with the new vocabulary words.. -Now tell them that re-read their text and read the other one and after reading they will find out the meaning of the highlighted words and write down on the H.O. -Tell them that we are working with the pairs this time. ICQ: Are we re-reading the text? Yes, Are we reading both texts? Yes, Are we going to write the meanings of the highlighted words from the text? Yes - Give them the hand out for ex d - Modal can be given with another example. - Set the time for 3 mins - Ask them to discuss with the pairs. ( 2 mins) - Project the answers on the board. - Ask them if they have a mistake. - Common error correction can be made for couple of mins. - Drill first then ask them to drill ( group drilling) - Focus on the each other box and go through it. - Project the "H.O. for each other" and ask nominated students to tell the answers. - Write the answers on the board.
- Give them an idea that we are going to work in pairs and talk about the questions which will be projected on the board. - Ask them to write 2-3 sentences about their situation ( only child or brother and sisters) 2 mins. - Tell them that they will come in front of the board and they will slightly move on the left after they finish talking with each other for a min. Ask them to wait because I will hand them the questions in a paper. - ( Give them 2 question in a hard copy.) They can hold in their hands. -Ask them (15 students) to come in front of the board and let the others find their pairs. -Give 3-4 mins to talk - Nominated students provide answers to the whole group.