Where are they now? TP1 Alan Newson
Pre-intermediate B1 level
To introduce and give practice in collocations related to friendship in the context of relationships.
To give students practice in listening for specific information and detail. To give students practice in speaking for accuracy.
Procedure (40-50 minutes)
1) Name tags on desks please 2) Write on the board - "My best friend is Danny" 3) "Put your hand up if you've got a best friend" questions ----"Why are friends important?" - "Who are more important - your friends or your family?" - "Is it better to have a lot of friends or one special friend?" 3) write ideas on the board as they are generated...
1) On the board, write " (1) A true friend always listens" 2) On the board, write numbers 2-6 2) Instruct students to work in groups of 5/6 and write a list 5 examples - you have 2 minutes! 3) Nominate and collect feedback to write on board. Pick a table and ask for one sentence from each.
1) Issue cut outs to pairs 2) Instruct to put in order - you have 2 minutes! 3) Walk the class to monitor 3) Play the recording to check the order - did you get it right? Play again if necessary. 4) Clap them
Brainstorm Meaning with class: 1) Write each phrase on the board: see each other have a lot in common get on well keep in touch 2) elicit meaning from students first 3) if help is needed, describe a situation - which is the phrase?
Repetition of phrases in groups and as a class Model the pronunciation ask "where is the stress?" Highlight the stress on the board examples
1) As individuals "Ex. 3 fill in the gaps using the words in bold", 2) Write the part sentences on the board 3) Check with a partner 4) Nominate students - minion style 5) Clap and praise 6) Work in pairs for q and a (2mins)
1) "Look at the photo, what can you see?" - "who are they?" "what are they doing?" "what are they wearing?" Write answers on board 2) "students in pairs" 3) Look at photo choose one person (Hide mime) and describe. Partner listens and guesses! 4) Swap and repeat.
Listening 2 activity 1) Instructions - as per question 2 - you have 2 minutes - to pre-read and guess 2) Play dialogue 3) All class feedback
Working from the following list, students work through the hangman game. One student controls the board, a correct guess for the word/phrase from the student brings them up to the board. TRUE FRIEND LAUGH COLLEGE UNIVERSITY EMAIL OLD PHOTOS BEST FRIEND SCHOOL MATES