To provide clarification and practice of Future I (future plans) in the context of travel. Ss will use present progressive and 'going to' tenses to talk about upcoming plans.
To provide gist reading practice using a text about Machu Picchu in the context of travel
Procedure (46-59 minutes)
1. Show picture of Machu Picchu 2. Ask Ss "What is this place?" 3. "Where is it?" 4. "Is Machu Picchu touristy?"
1. Hold up HO for Ss to see- point out the three titles 2. Instruct Ss to read text quickly to decide what the title should be 3. Demo- Circle the title at the top of the page 4. You have three minutes 5. ICQs- Are you picking the title? Yes. How much time do you have to read? 3 mins. Will you read slowly? No. 6. Give HO 7. When 3 mins are up, have Ss discuss with a partner 8. Fb-Take a quick vote for each title, ask a couple of Ss why they chose what they chose
1. Instructs Ss to reread the passage 2. Work with your partner to answer the questions at the bottom of the page
1. Draw a quick graph on wb 2. "What is the plan" 2. Write TL on wb one side 3. "Who doesn't want the cable car?" 4. "What is she going to do?" 5. Write TL on other side of the wb- listen for time markers
1. Instruct Ss to scan through the passage and underline TL 2. Give HO
1. Instruct Ss to put phrases under correct column 2. Demo- "hotel company is going to build" 3. Do you know when they are going to build it? No. 4. Demo- "tomorrow we are meeting" 5. Do you know when they are meeting? Tomorrow. 6. Work with your partner to decide where each one goes 7. Fb- check with a partner 8. Answers are posted outside for you as well
1. Divide Ss into small groups 3/4 2. Hold up jumbled words and say, "This is a question" 3. In your group, rearrange the words to make the question 4. When you have the question, answer it! 5. Walk around and listen for TL use 6. Error correction