Describing place vocab (Adjectives)
To provide clarification, review and practice of adjectives used to describing places in the context of Thailand
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text about Thailand
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T will show Ss pictures of Thailand and ask them to try and guess the country. - At the end of the presentation, Ss will give their ideas. - T will ask them to describe a few of the images and then elicit the word adjectives from their descriptions.
- T will give Ss two texts about Thailand to read. - They will be told to read quickly by themselves and decide which place they prefer.
- T will tell Ss to read again, but this time underline the adjectives. - T will monitor to see if Ss are having any difficulty. - The aim here is to get Ss to notice the adjectives.
- T will put up different images on the WB. - By eliciting, T will get Ss to find the adjective used to describe the image. - After finding the word, T will ask the student to use it in a sentence. - T will correct any mistakes on the spot. - T will then use choral drilling for the pronunciation of the word.
- T sets the task first before handing out the worksheet. - Ss will be told to fill in the gaps with the opposites of the adjectives used in the question. - They will work in pairs to complete this task. - T will monitor Ss to see if there are any problems and assist if necessary. - Fb will be going through the task quickly as a class on the board.
-T will explain to Ss that they will be playing a game (hot seat). -The class will be split into 2 groups. -Each team will receive cards with the adjectives. -T will explain that the teams will compete to finish the list first to be the winner. -Each group must sit a person in the hot seat, while the rest of the group tries to describe the word without saying it (using gestures, antonyms, synonyms). -They must take turns in the hot seat so everybody has a go at guessing.