Beginner, A1 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of the past tense of 'to be' (was/were) in the context of memories.
To provide a review of simple adjectives, and practice in listening for specific information.
Procedure (43-53 minutes)
- Sts will review adjectives. First, I'll write a very simple adj. on the WB (hot). I'll ask for it's opposite (cold), then write the answer on the WB. I'll do the same for big (small/little). Then sts will work in pairs and find the opposite for new (old), beautiful (ugly), and cheap (expensive). Check answers as WC - I won't drill these words since they did that in a previous lesson (with Sevi I think). I'll ask them to say a sentence for a few, and also write them on the WB if I feel there's time.
- Sts do ex. 1 in pairs or small groups, but we'll do the first one as a demo together. After we check answers as a WC, I'll turn off the projector and drill the pronunciation. After we finish all the words we'll add the stress.
- Sts are shown pictures of my stay in Cappadocia. I elicit sentences from them of my stay. (Sİmple ones, like, "I was in Capaddocia", "There were many hot air balloons," I may have to give them "hot air balloons.") Students write the text I'm going to give them. - Next, sts are given the text. I'll ask them to underline the verbs (demonstrating on the projector first) in pairs (scanning activity). Check as a WC. - Ask CCQs: Is this in the future? (No, past) - Elicit the form for "I was in Cappadocia in 2012." (Subj. + was/were + preposition + place + prep. + year.) - CCQs. When do we use "was"? (for I, he/she/it) When do we use "were"? (for you, we, they). Show the rule on the board w/ the projector. - I ask for a few sentences from the students about a trip they took. Next, sts write 3 sentences using was and were. (1. WHERE & WHEN, 2. Weather 3. It was fantastic, amazing, boring, etc.) I monitor. Then elicit question form (What was your amazing day?), write on WB, then students share with their groups or we do a mingling activity.
- Sts are first introduced to some important vocabulary. CCQs. - Sts are then shown the HO. Melanie, Tania, and Pascal will talk about their 'amazing days'. Sts should read and listen the first time for what each person's amazing day was. (We'll do the first one together). Check in pairs, then as WC. - Next, students read and listen for specific info (circle the correct answer). Check in pairs, then as WC, concrete copy of answers on WB.
- Ask sts: What was your amazing day? Drill them, write question on WB. - I write 2 sentences about my amazing day in Capaddocia. Then, sts. will write 1 or 2 sentences about their amazing day. I monitor, make sure they're correct. - Mingling activity where students ask the question, then respond with their sentences.