To provide clarification and practice of adjectives in the context of character adjectives.
To provide reading for specific information using a text about character adjectives.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in describing themselves using character adjectives.
To provide specific information listening practice using a text about adjectives in the context of character adjectives to match the adjectives with the meaning.
Procedure (30 minutes)
- Teacher puts two pictures on the board ( Will Smith & Rafael Nadal ). - Teacher says; " Look at these pictures,What do think of them? Is he active/ lazy or funny?" - Teacher says; " Match the word to the picture". -Ss match. - Teacher says; " So, these words ( active,lazy ,funny) are called character adjectives - to describe how people are like " from inside or how they behave".
- Teacher gives the Ss a small passage to read and underline the character adjectives, - Teacher uses ICQs.( chesting, read and underline the character adjectives). - " Hello, I'm Julia. I'll tell you about my classmates' character; Emma has no friends; she's shy.Sally gives us everything we need; she is generous. Mary never says" I can't", she is confident. Bill doesn't laugh all the time. He never does bad things; he is serious and sensible but Bob always says; no body is as important as me; he is selfish". -Ss read the passage and underline the character adjectives.
- Teacher introduces words :confident, generous, selfish, sensible, serious, shy; in a matching exercise on the board. - T says; "match the word with the picture". -Ss match on the board. -Teacher gets feedback.
- Teacher clarifies the meaning and form of the new vocab through simple questions,( meaning, form and CCQs are written in the language analysis paper). - Teacher elicits the answers to make sure they understood. - Teacher drills the vocab. - Teacher asks the Ss " where is the strongest part? / where is the stressed syllables?" - Ss put the stress on the word. - Teacher gets feedback.
- T.says; " Match the adjectives with the meanings", ex 1 p.g 91. - check in pairs. - Teacher monitors . -T. says; "Listen to the audio and check your answer". - Teacher gets feedback. - Teacher asks Ss: " Which adjective always has a negative meaning?". -Get feedback.
- T. says, " Choose three adjectives best describe you?" ( from exercise 1). - T. puts the Ss in pairs to compare their adjectives. - T. encourages them to talk about their choices.
-T says: "Think of a famous person or someone you know, and describe him/her using the character adjectives."
- T says; Now lets play a game, " who can say a name and an adjective begin with the same letter?" for example; Ali is active. Hanna is happy.etc...