To provide practice in scanning for specific information and comprehension in the context of cultural differences
To provide clarification and review in the context of cultural differences
Procedure (37-51 minutes)
1. Draw a brainstorm cloud on the wb 2. Ask class, "Do you know what Cultural Differences Mean?" 3. Write down responses on wb if cultural difference isn't understood switch to, "What is Culture?"
1. Divide class into four groups of four 2. Demo- hold up HO with a cut-up instruct class to match vocab to image in their small grps 3. Pass out HO with cut-ups 4. Fb- have them check answers with neighboring group
1. Demo- ask Ss, "You shouldn't shake hands in a doorway in Russia. Do you think this is true or false?" 2. Pair off Ss 3. Instruct- in pairs decide whether you think each statement is T/F 4. ICQ- are you deciding what is true or false? yes. 5. Pass out HO
1. "Let's find out what is true and what is false. 2. Demo- skim the reading to find the answers, "In Russia, you shouldn't shake hands in a doorway." 3. Instruct- read through and mark the answers 4. ICQs- are we reading quickly? 5. Fb- WC quick review
1. Instruct- with your partner, read again, choose four things that are interesting 3. Demo- for instance, I find it interesting that in Russia, you shouldn't shake hands in the doorway 4. ICQs- how many things? 4! 5. Fb- WC, what differences did you read about 6. Add responses to brainstorm cloud
1. Write three statements on the wb about yourself, 2 False- 1True 2. Have Ss ask questions about each statement, and then guess which ones are false, and which one is true 3. Ss then write down two false and one true thing about themselves 4. ICQs- How many are true? 1! false? 2! 5. Instruct- get up and ask each other questions to find out what is true and what is false 6. Fb- WC- What did you learn?