Function globally: finding things in commomn
Pre-Intermediate (B1) level
To provide clarification and practice of so/neither and too/neither
To provide gist and specific information listening practice using a text about technology conference
To provide accuracy speaking practice of the TL in a conversation in the context of personal information
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
1) T will give the ss a matching task, they need to match the words with their pictures on the WB. 2) T will show the ss four pictures of people having conversation and ask the ti discuss in pairs and describe the similarities and differences between them. The T will give some vocabulary that they can use to describe the pictures. T will take feedback from two or three ss. 3) T will ask the ss to work in groups and think of what the people in the pictures might be talking about.
1) T will play an audioscript of two people having a conversation in a taxi. Students will listen and try to answer the two questions in the handout. 2) Students then check in pairs.
1) T will play the audio for a second time and the students should tick the things the two speakers have in common. 2) The students check in pairs. 3) T provides AK.
1) T will hand the students the audioscript and ask them to read it and pay attention to the highlighted expressions in the script. 2) T then will elicit the meaning. CCQs.
1) T will clarify more the meaning through CCQs so that the students understand it. 2) T will clarify the pronunciation so students know how to say the TL items through modeling and drilling. 3) T will hand the students a gap-fill handout and ask the students to complete the rules in the handout with "so, too and neither" based on they are exposed to in the audioscript. 4) Ss then will check in pairs. 5) T will provide the AK.
T will give the student a handout which has five topics and some phrases to help, and ask the students to write five true sentences about themselves.
1) T will pair up the students as speaker A and speaker B; speaker A will tell his partner (B) about him self, and B should respond using the expression they have learnt. 2) The two speakers swap roles after a while and repeat the activity.