To practice functional language in the context of tourism and travel.
To practice listening for specific information. To revise WH- question forms and yes/no question forms.
Procedure (42-54 minutes)
- Set up context: tourist in Bath, UK. Ask them what a tourist needs. Show some pictures or realia to elicit the names of simple things (purse, backpack, tourist, airplane, etc.). Give the ones they don't know. Drill students chorally, and individually for the difficult words. Ask about stress. Write the vocab on the WB, off to one side.
- Students then see if they have those things with them in class today. Discuss as small groups.
To set up the listening, ask them what a tourist can see in Bath (show prompts). Show pictures of Roman Baths Museum, a map of a city center (CCQ: Where is the city center of Istanbul?), and a picture of the Thermae Bath Spa. Demo the first question in each section with the projector. Check answers as a WC.
- Students are introduced to a tourist information center through pictures and actions. First they see tourists, and I ask where they would go to get help? (Tourist info center) Then I show another picture showing a tourist speaking to an assistant, and I make sure sts know who is the tourist. - Introduce HO2. Students fill in blanks in conversation in pairs. Check answers as WC. - Then, students are drilled on the conversation to learn intonation and pronunciation. They read it in partners twice, switching roles once.
- Intro to new tourists, this time in Bursa. Students find a partner. One person A and one B, a tourist and an assistant at a tourist information center. Who had the information for the tourist? The assistant. Will the tourist ask questions? Will the assistant answer the questions. - Demo with two three pairs. Ask ICQs (Tourists raise hands, Will you show the other person or will you tell?.).
- Sts look at the WB projector. It is a similar conversation to before with some questions (choose btw 2 options). Working in pairs, they complete the dialogue. Check as a WC with the listening. - Skip if running out of time.