To provide clarification of language used for greeting in the context of airport and hotel environments.
To provide clarification and practice of the English sounds.
Procedure (43-54 minutes)
1. The teacher shows ways of greeting from different cultures on OHP. Then he introduces the word "greeting". 2. The teacher elicit some greeting words in different languages and dialects including English. 3. The teacher sticks three pictures on the board ( morning - afternoon - night). Then he elicits suitable greetings in Arabic and English. (Never mind if they don't know. explanation will come and they can say it only in Arabic) 4. The teacher sticks two other pictures of formal and informal situations. Then he elicits Arabic greetings suitable for each one. If they can provide English versions, it is fine. If not, no problem. 4. The teacher introduces the idea of politeness and writes on the board "polite" and " rude".
1. The teacher gives the worksheets to the students, and he explains that they should write tick the correct greetings and cross the incorrect ones while they are listening. 2. the teacher plays the audio (books closed), and after the first listening he encourages the students to repeat. 3. The teacher explains the different greetings and when we use them (using the pictures shown in the lead-in). The teacher highlights stress. 4. the teacher asks the students to open their books (or show dialogs on OHP) and check their work. 5. The students role-play the dialogs in a variety of drilling ways.
1. The teacher shows on OHP three pictures and pre-teaches ( goodbye - trip - see you - bye - good night) with drilling 2. The teacher gives the students a worksheet, and give instructions. (pre-taught vocabulary is still on the board) 3. the teacher plays the audio. 4. Drilling (in pairs - t-s - s-t - teams...)
1. The teacher shows an airport check-in desk and pre-teaches ( passport - ticket) 2. The teacher asks a pre-listening question (what does the woman ask about?), and plays the audio. 3. The teacher elicit the answer. 4. drilling
1. The teacher reviews the word " where". 2. The teacher plays the audio (books open) 3. drilling
1. The teacher shows a hotel picture and pre-teaches (room number - VISA card) 2. The teacher have students guess the place and If the woman is checking in or out. 3. The teacher plays the audio. 4. The teacher have a discussion with students in their expectations. 5. drilling