Can/Can't for ability
Elementary A1 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of can/can't for ability in the context of a competitor's abilities in a talent show.
To provide product writing practice of a paragraph in the context of one's abilities.
To provide clarification, review and practice of action verbs in the context of abilities.
Procedure (27-45 minutes)
- Show the picture of Paddy Jones (a competitor in a talent show who is 80 years old.) - Ask ss to make guesses about her. - Guide them with questions. (How old is she? What's her job? Where's she from?) - In pairs ss come up with guesses. - Elicit the answers and write them on the board.
- Give a handout about Paddy. - There are statements about Paddy's abilities. - The students work in pairs and try to guess the correct answers about. - Elicit the answers from the students. - Whole class feedback. -Put the sentences on the board. Ask ss why they think so. - Tell the ss that they are going to watch the video of Paddy. Ask ss what is different in the video from their opinions - Ss watch the video of the talent show Paddy joined. -
- -Draw ss' attention to the sentences on the board. - Refer back to the video- (What kind of a show is it? Elicit the word talent- give the synonym ability) Use L1 if necessary when the level of this group is taken into consideration)
- Clarify the meaning by CCQs. - Focus on the form as in the analysis (eliciting the answers from the ss) and pronunciation. (Model and drill) (Individually and whole class, back chaining, substitution)
- Give a handout. - Ask ss to fill in the gaps on their own.. -Ask them to compare their answers with their partners. - Elicit the answers from the ss. - Write the answwers on the board.
- Give a handout. - Ask students to correct the sentences.(individual) - Do the first one together. - Ask ss to compare their answers. - Elicit the answers from the students. - Write the answers on the board.
-Make 2 sentences about what you can and can't do. - Ask one of the students if he can do what you can do. - Emphasize that You both ................. (Write the sentence on the board to guide them as this is a task to be done at the end of the writing stage. - Ask ss to write 4 sentences on the handouts. (2 things that they can do- 2 things that they can't do) - Walk around the class and help when necessary. - When they finish, ask them to compare their answers and find the similarities. - Elicit the answers from the students. - If time: Delayed error correction: Focus on the good examples or mistakes and ask ss to correct them.