Teaching Practice 8
To introduce/review the affirmative and negative form of "there is / there are" using a listening task with a context (White House) and worksheets with a variety of tasks.
To practice listening for the gist/listening for specific information. To practice speaking using the TL.
Procedure (35-43 minutes)
- T mimes and elicits the names of the rooms (bridge to the previous week's lesson). - T talks about her own flat (modelling the target language) and narrows down the topic to White House. - T puts the photos of the White House on the board and asks some general discussion questions (e.g. Where is it? / Who lives here? etc.) w/c discussion - T pairs up the Ss and asks them to guess the answers of a few questions with their partners. (e.g. How old is it? / How many rooms are there?) Elicitation T writes their guesses on the board (they will learn the answers later).
- T distributes Worksheet 1 and clarifies the task. They listen to Track 47 and put the questions in order. (Listening for the gist) Peercheck w/c Fb - They listen again and fill in the blanks. (Listening for specific information) Peercheck w/c Fb - They compare the real answers to their previous guesses.
- T writes 4 sentences (2 affirmative, 2 negative) taken from the listening task on the board. MFP - They do the task on Worksheet 2. (fill in the blanks) Peercheck w/c Fb - They do the task on Worksheet 3 in pairs. Peercheck (pairs compare their answers with another pair) w/c Fb -IF TIME: T shows pictures of different rooms and tells the name of an object to the students one by one (The object may or may not exist in the picture). The student whose name is nominated forms sentence using the TL (e.g. There is a TV in the living room.. etc.)
- T distributes Worksheet 4 and clarifies the task. T models the task by drawing a plan of her own flat on the board. - Ss draw their flat's plan. - T puts the Ss in groups of 3 or 4. T clarifies the task by modeling. They tell each other about their own flat using their plan. They also take notes about each other's flats. T monitors. - T elicits whose flat is the biggest/ whose flat they liked the most in each group.
- T writes a few sentences/phrases/words on the board and elicits the errors. They correct them together.