Teaching Practice 7
To give Ss practice in listening for gist, specific information and details through dialogues at the information desk in a shopping mall.
To provide clarification, review and practice of vocabulary and phrases necessary for giving directions in the context of shopping mall and to provide fluency speaking practice in asking for and giving directions via a plan of a hotel.
Procedure (32-46 minutes)
- Greet the Ss. - Tell Ss that New Year is coming about one month later, and you are excited because you will do shopping and buy presents for your friends and family. - Tell Ss that you prefer "Gordion" because it is close to your house and it is not too big so it is not so tiring. - Ask Ss to work in groups of three and speak about which shopping mall they prefer and their reason. - Elicit some answers nominating.
- Tell Ss that each shopping mall is different from each other but all the malls have some certain places such as "toilets". - Ask Ss what other places are the same in shopping malls. - Elicit answers as WC. - Stick the symbols and the word slips on the board. (Material A) - Ask Ss to work in pairs and match the words with the pictures. - Elicit the answers and and stick them as Ss say.
- Ss listen to the recording and check their answers on the board and say the words. - Tell Ss that they are at an information desk in a shopping mall and they want some information. Ask Ss to work in pairs and talk about what they can ask, e.g. "What floor is the cafe on?" - Elicit answers as WC. -Tell Ss that they will listen to some dialogues at the information desk. - Ask Ss to note down the places from the previous exercise that they hear. - Elicit answers as WC. - Stick the sentences on the board. (Material B) - Tell Ss that they will listen to the recording again and match the sentences to some of the places (on the board) (Tell Ss to take notes) - Ss work in pairs and see if they have similar answers. - Elicit the answers nominating.
- Tell Ss that you will analyse some sentences from the listening text. - Stick the pictures on the left and the sentences on the right of the board randomly. (Material C) - Ask Ss to match the pictures with the sentences in pairs. - Elicit the answers as WC. - Check the meaning via the pictures. - Clarify the form next to the slips of sentences. - Highlight the pronunciation and drill both chorally and individually.
- Tell Ss that they will practise these phrases in a listening exercise first. - Show the handout to Ss and clarify the instructions. (Material D) - Give the handout to Ss. - Ss read the sentences individually. - Ss listen to the recording. - Ask Ss to check their answers to see if their answers are similar. - Elicit the answers nominating.
- Tell Ss that they are in a hotel and they have the plan of the hotel but some information is missing. - Show the handout and clarify the instructions. (Material E) - Write the prompt for asking directions on the board: "Excuse me, where is the...?" and "Is there a... near here?" - Give the handout to Ss. - Ss work in pairs, ask their partner how to get to some places and mark them on their plan. - Monitor Ss and take notes for delayed error correction.
- Divide the board into two. - Put a tick on one side and a question mark on the other side of the board. - Write the good examples of Ss' and the examples to be reformulated under the correct title. - Do delayed error correction by eliciting synonym/ antonyms or asking CCQs, depending on the examples.