Teaching Practice 6
To practice listening for the gist and listening for specific information using a certain context (describing physical appearance using adjectives).
To review/introduce adjectives about physical appearance. To practice using target vocabulary through speaking.
Procedure (34-44 minutes)
- T puts a photo of herself and her cousin on the board (cousin is blurred) and gives some background about her. T also puts A4 papers on the board with the name of the concepts related to physical appearance. T pairs the Ss up and asks them to guess what she looks like. Ss write as many adjectives as they can in 30-45 seconds related to the concepts on the board. Elicitation, Fb (The pair that has the most adjectives wins the competition) T shows the actual photo of her cousin.
- T elicits some adjectives from the Ss and writes them under the categories on the board. (if the Ss are unable to come up with adjectives, T guides them and MFP might be necessary) Drilling can be used if necessary. -T distributes Worksheet 1 and they fill in the blanks with the adjectives given in the box. Peercheck Fb using the track 1.43 Drilling the sentences if necessary (if Ss have pronunciation problems). -T very quickly goes over the use of adjectives on the board (T writes 1-2 sentences on the board and elicits the structural pattern : adj+N) - T puts a drawing on the board about the listening task and asks the Ss to guess who those people are, where they are, what do they possibly talk about with their partners . w/c Fb T asks the Ss how they would describe the man in the drawing. This is a w/c discussion task. (This whole stage can be skipped depending on time)
- T distributes Worksheet 2 and they listen for the gist and do Task 1. Peercheck w/c Fb - T asks the Ss listen for the second time for specific information and do Task 2. peercheck w/c Fb
- T distributes Worksheet 3 and asks them to choose a relative or a friend. They write 5 adjectives describing that person. They turn to their partner and tell each other about this relative/friend. They do this in turn and they take down notes as they listen to each other. They report what their partner has said to the whole class. T monitors during the whole activity and tries to collect sentences with errors.
- T writes a few sentences uttered by the students during the post-listening stage (speaking activity) on the board. T elicits the correct forms and gives Fb.