A1 (Beginner) level
To practice reading for gist and specific information in the context of weekend getaways.
To practice semi-controlled speaking
Procedure (38-51 minutes)
Pre-steps: Fix to walls large prints of images 1. divide class into four groups 2. point out images on the walls 3. pass out words to match to images 4. demo matching words to images 5. tell them to go a fast as they can- it's a race- 6. ICQ- are we going slow? 7. after the first team finishes, debrief with class 8. drill- watch for stresses and pronunciation, remember the indefinite article! 9. pass out w/s for ss to fill in
1. write titles on board, "Where to stay," "Getting there," "Things to see and do" 2. point out to ss missing information- "is there something missing," - the sections need a title 3. pass out w/s 4. demo quick reading 5. ICQ- are we reading slowly? no! 6. instruct that they have 3mins 7. at time, divide ss into pairs to match title to the correct blank spot 8. debrief as a class
1. pass out w/s to ss 2. demo- these are facts from the text 3. demo- read the first one, "There are beaches" 4. ask class, "where are there beaches?" 5. demo- skimming the text and finding beaches 6. demo- in slot, print a large 'B' 7. demo- read the second, "There's a river" 8. rpt 3-7 9. rpt for #3 if class is confused 10. instruct ss to read, put B for Barcelona and put P for Prague 12. ICQ- 13. once ss finish, pair them off to check answers 14. wc, quick fb write out on the wb
1. present context- "Welcome to Seattle! There are many things to do here."- go through ppt 2. going through slides, elicit there's/there are responses from ss 3. after ppt, drill using words from vocabulary (Extension Activity) 1. pass out Seattle w/s 2. in pairs, ss practice form using bold words
1. rearrange ss into new groups using Turkish locations 2. demo- with strip "Come to Bodrum, there are beaches!" 3. demo- with strip "Come to Uludag, there are mountains!" 4. demo- have ss come up with a saying with one of the strips 5. demo- have another ss come up with a saying 6. Listen for grammar and pronunciation 7. pass out location strips 8. Speak about each location, then switch 9. demo- blah blah blah, pass 10. Let ss practice their teaching 11. Listen for grammar and pronunciation and write these on the board for delayed correction 9.
1. during the previous activity, listen for pronunciation errors 2. write these on the wb 3. elicit fb from class 4. drill correct pronunciation