Intermediate B1 level
To provide students practice in reading specific information and detail in the context of money and the ways to become a millionaire.
To provide practice in speaking for fluency using vocabulary related to money.
To provide clarification, review and practice of money lexis in the context of ways to become a millionaire.
Procedure (31-43 minutes)
- Start with daily conversations about money to have a link with the previous lesson. (Yesterday was my birthday. I made two wishes. First one was health and the second one is money because money is everywhere in our lives. Everyone is looking for ways to earn money, to win money etc. Some people are very good at this and they become rich easily.) - Ask the students to work in pairs and think of a person- a millionaire and talk about how he/ she has become a millionaire.
- Elicit the answers from the students. - Use the board to write the names of millionaires and how they got rich. -Elicit the words 'earn', 'win' and 'inherit from the students. Ask questions to elicit if necessary. e.g. How did he become rich? Did he work a lot? (earn) Did he have a special talent? Did hid family leave him the money? (inherit) Did he play lottery games? (win) - After clarifying the meaning, focus on the pronunciation if necesssary. - Model and drill (individually or as a group) - Show SS the picture and the title of the reading text. Ask ss to work in pairs to guess what the story is about. - Elicit the answers from the ss and take notes on the board. - Show the subtitle to give more clues. - The students check if their guesses were right or not. - Focus on the meaning of dyslexia.(elicit it from the students as there is a clue in the subtitle.) - Ask students to work in pairs and guess the correct order of the story.
- Ask students to read the text and put the story in order. - Ask the students to compare their answers. - Write the correct order on the board. - Ask the students to compare their answers with their guesses.
- Ask the students to work in pairs and look back at the highlighted words in the text and match them with their definitions. -Whole class feedback. - Clarify the meaning by CCQs. - Focus on pronunciation. Model and Drill. (Individually or whole class)
- Ask students to fill in the gaps in the questions in pairs. - Ask them to stand up and ask these questions to different people in the class. - Ask ss to share the most interesting answer with the class. -If time: Walk among the ss and take notes of the good examples and the mistakes and make a delayed correction at the end.