Arrange to meet people
A1 Beginner level
Main Aim is vocabulary. The new vocabulary is: weekday names, busy, free and the following prepositions : on, at, in
Sub Aim : Listening and speaking - done with related listening exercises and exercises in the coursebook.
Procedure (38-50 minutes)
- Walking in with my own diary - Asking the students what day is today to check my notes in the diary. Then asking what day is tomorrow. - Eliciting answers from them to see how much they know the names of the days. For this asking questions like: What day is today, is it Sunday? or is it Saturday - Answering to the questions by looking at my diary : * Today is Tuesday, on Tuesday morning I am teaching at ITI * Tomorrow is Wednesday, in the morning I am teaching at ITI again. - Writing Today and Tomorrow on the board. Writing the correct weekday name next to it. - Then asking the students for the day names to complete the week.
- Split in groups of 3 (but this depends on how many students will be in) - Move the chairs to the back, open space - Instructions: * I will give each group 7 cards, don't open them, don't look, keep them turned down. *When I say START, open the cards an put them in the right sequency on the floor. * Start with Monday * First to finish is the winner group - Handout the cards and let them start - After the game ask them to sit again
- Highlighting it with Listening exercises - Giving instructions for gist listening exercise 1.56 : - Put them together as pairs. - Show the HO on chest and explain it will be a listening exercise to do Exc. 1b * Tell them to listen carefully and fill in the diary on the HO . 1b * And compare later with their partners - Play the listening 1.56 - Let them check with their partners - Then check with the group the correct answers - Then do the listening again 1.56 . This time to stop in between to practise the pronunciation with the whole class. - To hear better split the class in 3 groups and let them all repeat in seperate groups. - Staying in the same pair ask them to do now Exercise 1c together. - Check the answers by picking students in the class and showing the sequence on the board. - Ask the whole class in different sequency about the days, ask all of them, forward, backwards.
- Moving to Exc. 2 and preparing for more detailed listening. -Split them in small groups. -Showing AKhi's diary (HO - Chest) to the students and ask them what they see: . *When is Akhi is busy? *When is she free? *When is she not here? *When is she in London? - At the same time these are also questions preparing them for the listening. - Let them speak about Akhis diary in their groups. - Instructions before Listening 1.57 - Tell them they will have a listening exercise and to listen carefully and fill in the gaps of Exc. 2 - b - Then after they finished to compare their answers in their groups - Play the listening 1.57 - After the listening while they discuss, write the answer key on the board : 1- on / 2- on / 3- on
- Move to Exc. 3 - a - Make new groups for this exercise. - Instruction : *Look at 3a * Fill the gaps with either : in, on, at *Compare the answers within your groups - While they work on the exercise, write the rule on the board: *in before morning/evening *on before days (Monday, Tuesday...) * at before times ( 6 o'clock, 9.30 in the morning) - Read the correct answers out loud by showing the rule written on the board. - Then move to Exc.3 b - Keep the same groups for 3-b - Instructions: * Cover the table by folding the sheet (show how) * You shouldn't see the answers * Work with your partner and fill in the gaps in Exc. 3b - Write the answer key on the board: 1-on 2-on 3-in 4-on 5-at 6-in 7-on 8-at
- Final Exercise 4 is for free practice: - Putting together in pairs, telling them then already who is A and who is B - Explaining HO on chest, showing A and B sheet - Ask your partner questions when he/she is free. * On which day is he/she busy? * On which day does he/she work? * Try to arrange time to meet - Let them speak with each other, mingle in the room and listen - Ask by the end when they will meet - Announce by the end the result should be : on Monday afternoon