By the end of the lesson Ss will be asking Wh- questions in the Past Simple Tense.
To provide review of the past simple tense in the context of famous films.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Project the picture of the 4 movie posters on pg.43. - Ask Ss who likes movies, what kind of movies. - Point to the posters and ask if they like any of these movies and which ones are the favorite. - Elicit the name of the person who made these.
- Show them exercise 5B. Tell them to choose 3 events from the list and write on the timeline when it happened (year). I will demo with the class for one event. Then demo with a student. - They can do individual work. - After a minute they can work in pairs to tell their partners what they wrote. - i will monitor through out.
- Make 3/4 groups depending on no. of students. - I will project Ex 7. I will demo with the class for 2 questions then give them the HO to do in GW. (ICQ- the verb you write will it be in the past tense?) - I will monitor and if there is difficulty, i'll stop them and go through all the verbs and elicit the past tense. - Once done, I will hand out markers and tell them to write answers on the board.
- Project Exercise 9. Do a demo with one sentence for whole class. Two if needed. - Then give HO to Ss. - They can do PW. - I will monitor to see if answers are correct. - I will go to projected image and point at q.3 (CCQ- For this question, do we know that he made a film in 2009?) Then do drilling. - I will then point at q.4 (CCQ-Did he get married in 1997?) Then do drilling.
- Set context (Imagine you meet an old friend after a long time and are having coffee and just talking. You start asking them questions to know how they have been) - Project Ex-10 "Here are some words you need to put into questions to ask your friend". - Demo the first two with a student. Then they can solve in PW. - Monitor to see if correct. - For questions 3, 4 and 5 write the form on board with stress and intonation. - Do drilling.
- Tell them to listen carefully for pronunciation. - Play audio - Tell Ss to work in pairs (PW) and ask each other the same questions. - Demo with a student for 1/2 questions. - I will monitor for errors. -Delayed Feedback