Home is where the heart is
By the end of the lesson they should know new vocabulary associated with 'home' in the context of how it would be in the news.
Understand the news better when related to properties/real estate.
Procedure (46-59 minutes)
- Project slogan 'Home Sweet Home'. - Elicit the word 'home'. Set context of what they like to do after a long hard day. - Drill the above mentioned phrase to correct pronunciation. - Pair them up and tell them to look at the questions projected, (favorite room, smells..) tell them to ask each other these questions. Demo if needed. - Monitor and listen - Then ask each pair to give their partners answers. NOT THEIR OWN.
Pre-teach vocab (cellar, semi detached house, commercial district, fireplace, suburbs, a park and a playground, neighborhood and description). - Cut up words and definitions, jumble them up and tell them to match it in groups. - Monitor and assist if needed. - Project the definitions with pictures ask them which one is for which word. - Drilling pronunciation for each word.
-Re-group them as A, B, C, D. -Set context of you wanting to buy a house and telling the realtor what features you want in the property. - Explain Ex-2a also tell them the first one is done as an example. - They can work in groups. - Monitor, then when they are finished, give the answer keys. - Group A only gets answer key for box A and so on. (tell this to each group when giving the key) - After they check, each group can give out answers for their own box for the rest of the class to hear.
- Give out property descriptions.Tell them to read alone. (1 min) - Project 2 pictures of houses. Tell them to match the description to the pictures. - Discuss in groups - W/C FB on why they matched to picture A or B.
- Give them virtual house tour checklist and tell them to tick the objects from the list they see in the video. - Show clip - Monitor to see if clip needs to be shown again. - Pass around a bowl with bits of paper tell them to take one. Some will be blank but 8 of them will have a number on them from 1-9. The ones that get a number have to come on the board and write one object they ticked on their list. - I will demo with no. 1
- Re-group with 1,2,3,4. - Tell them to work in pairs and tell their partner what they like to do when they come home after a long and tiring day and name at least 3 things. -ICQ: Will you name 3 things or 5? - Now tell them to discuss in a group and talk to each other. - Try open pairs FB.
- Will write error sentences on board that I heard. - Also have some back up error sentences on a slide. - Show either and ask them to discuss in groups which is correct/wrong. - W/C FB