To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about happiness in the world.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in the context of own personal happiness.
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- The teacher starts by chesting a picture of a happy girl, then ask SS about her feeling. - T continues by asking the following questions: - Are you happy? what makes you happy? how do you know if you are happy? - what might help people to be happy? -would you describe the people in your country as generally happy or unhappy? -What are they happy or unhappy about? - in which countries in the world do you think are the people happiest? why? - Do you think we can buy happiness? health? family? - Imagine that your a politician, suggest three policies to make people happy.
- Teacher gives HO 1 which includes a matching exercise. - SS are required to work in pairs and match the words with the right definition. - T asks SS to check their answers with each other. - T asks students for their answers as feedback.
-T gives Students HO 2 Which includes two tasks. - in task one, Ss should go over the text quickly and then choose the best title. -As a feedback, T asks Ss for their answers.
In task two, Students are supposed to read the text only once and then they should match summary sentences to the paragraphs. ( two of the summaries are not needed) - SS move around the class to check answers with each other As a feedback, T gives an answer key
- T gives HO 3 which includes a true/false exercise. - Ss are required to read the text again and state true or false. - SS check their answers with each other. - As a feedback, teacher gives an asnwer key
- T gives students HO 4 which includes a couple of definitions. - SS have to read the text and find words of those definitions. - SS check their answers with each other, before T gives an answer key as a feedback.
-T gives SS HO 5 which includes a writing task. - SS are required to work in pairs and suggest three ways their government could improve the happiness of the people. - SS should mingle and discuss their ideas.
- T divides the class into groups and then gives them HO 6 in which they have put in order personal happiness from the least to the most important. - T ask SS to choose three countries where they would lile to live. - the consider the categories in ex 1 and share what you know about these countries. Where do you think you would be happiest?