Listening & Vocabulary
Elementary Level level
To provide listening practice using a text about a political scandal happened in US in 1972.
To provide vocabulary practice through controlled practice and freer one in the form of writing.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T records on WB the word "Scandal" or shows it using OHP. Then, T tells ss a personal story about a friend as the following, " I told my friend a personal secret of mine and I told him not to tell anyone. But, he told my friends about my secret and he caused me many problems. Really, I am so sad." Then I ask the ss, " What do you think of my friend? Is he good? Is he bad? Can you do something like that? Why? I try to elicit the meaning of scandal from ss.
T elecits the meaning of some unfamiliar words like (scandal – president – reporter ) first by showing the students pictures for these words, then HO distributed to ss for 3 minutes to work individually then they check in pairs. After that, Ak given to the ss as a FB.
- T asks ss to listen to a part of the listening text ( the first part ) and try to guess what the whole text about. After listening, T asks, . What is the topic of the text? What is it about? . Is it something good? . Is it something bad? . Why? - T shows ss a slide containing some information about that political scandal and what the main characters of the story are. An open discussion will start between the teacher and the whole class.
- T gives ss HO and asks ss to read the questions first . Then they listen to the text and after that they answer the questions individually and they check their answers in pairs. - Ss are given around 3 minutes to finish the activity before checking in pairs and T's FB starts.
- T asks ss to sit in groups. - T gives ss HO and asks ss to read the questions first . - Ss listen to the whole text and then that they answer the questions together. They will match the questions together. - Checking the answers will be either every group go to the other groups and check their answers or AK will be on the walls and T asks one of every group to go and check the answers of any questions they do not know . - Finally, T starts FB.
- T elicits the meaning of the main vocabulary of the listening text to be ensure that the students understand them like (scandal – headquarters – editor – burglary – president – reporter – equipment – apartment) and then starts CCQs. - T records the words that he/she elicits on WB one by one and model and drill them. - T elicits the stressed syllable of every word. - T gives controlled practice to check ss understanding. Ss is given HO and start working individually and they check in pairs. Finally, T starts his/her FB. - As a productive practice to check fluency and accuracy, T gives ss free writing practice as T asks ss to write about a scandal they heard about or watched on TV. Ss will work in groups . Then T asks the group to stick their writing on the walls and all the groups start checking each other writing. - Finally, T start FB and make notice on the errors that relating to TL.