To provide clarification and practice of simple past tense: was & were.
To provide fluency in pronunciation of was/were forms.
Procedure (37-49 minutes)
• Show Ss the pictures on pg. 54. • We listened to two people talking about their holiday in Canada. Would you like to visit these places?
• Show Ss the picture on pg. 54. Which of these cities would you like to visit? Why/Why not? Pairwork.
• Put the diagram and draw an arrow on the board. • Let Ss observe the the board and give an example sentence in both present tense and simple past tense. Show how am/is/are transfer to was/were. • Drill was, wasn't & were, weren't.
• Hand Ss Ex.1 and to read the sentences and write the answers as shown in the example. • Let Ss peercheck. • Hand the key out.
• Say some sentences out loud and prompt Ss to transform these sentences into past simple forms, reminding them to use the diagrom on the board if needed.
• Remove the diagram on the board. • Mix Ss and divide them into two groups. • Hand Ss the related HOs and tell them the first group to hand all the answers correct, wins. • Reput the diagram if Ss struggle a lot. • Hand the answer key after a group finishes, and if they have further questions, answer them.