Functional Language Lesson
To provide clarification and practice of language used for communicating on the phone.
To provide practice for reading for gist in the context of phone facts about Canada and the US.
To provide practice for listening for gist in the context of phone conversations.
Procedure (43-54 minutes)
• Write the sentences to be used on the white board • Put Ss into A and B groups • Give an example • Ss roleplay phone conversations using the sentences on the board
• Provide accuracy for "making/getting a phone call" through miming • Ss Listen to 3 phone dialogues and mark the correct choices on the worksheet & do peercheck.(Ex. 1&2) • Monitor and help if needed. • Give quick FB.
• Ss correct mistakes on the sentences (Functional L. Ex1) & Peercheck • Hand out the answer key for Ss to check. • Play the recording Cd1, 72 • Ss read and complete the sentences w/ the correct sentence. (Ex. 3) • Ss do peercheck & listen to the audio to check again
• Give Ss the example dialogues ask Ss to roleplay phone conversations, and aid from the worksheets if they like. • Monitor & look for errors & check their pronunciation.
• Ss read the text & discuss what phone information they can say about their country. Ss list their ideas.