upper-intermediate B2 level
To develop students' reading skills by practicing gist and inference reading through the context of a four short texts about getting together and meeting people.
To provide students with a semi-controlled speaking for fluency practice in the context of pair/class discussions about meeting people.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T tells a short story about meeting an old friend. - T asks students to tell him about how do they usually contact their friends and keep in touch with them.
- T places 5 pictures of different ways people meet each other on the WB. - T demos one picture by eleciting ideas and words from the students, By asking them the following questions: * What are they doing? are they friends? Do you think they have met before? - T sets students working in pairs discussing the other pictures, and try to write some related words for each. - T ICQs : *Are we going to work alone? NO *Are we going to write a short paragraph? No, just related words. - WCFB by asking students to report their opinions,the T writes down each picture the related words given by students.
- T gets students working in groups A,B,C and D. - T chests HO1 and tell students that they are going to read the texts and take some notes without worrying about the unknown words. - T tells each students his number, for example: A1,A2,A3,B1,B2,B3.... , then have them sitting with students from other groups in accordance with their numbers. - T tasks students to briefly tell each other about the text they have just read. - WCFB by telling their opinions about the different ways people meet. and check if the words they suggested before are within the texts.
- Have students back to their groups. - T chests HO2, and explain that they are going to check meanings of words in their dictionaries first , then read the text carefully and answer the questions. - T ICQ's: * Are we going to read first? No, check meanings of words. * Are we going to answer the questions together? No, alone. - T pass out HOs to groups in accordance to the previously read text. - Have them checking in pairs. - WCFB by selecting student from different groups to answer the relevant questions.then pass the answer keys.
- T chests HO3 and tasks student to walk arround the classroom and exchange opinions concerning the threee mentioned points, and not discussing more than one point with each person. - Have students mingling and talking to each other. - WCFB by asking students to report what their friends said.