By the end of the lesson, learners will have a better understanding of collocations related to daily routines and will have had practice using that language and be better able to talk about their daily routines.
To provide practice of collocations in the context of daily routines.
Procedure (40-52 minutes)
• Hand Ss blank sheets for them to write their names on and ask them to write their names. • Ask Ss to write 2 facts about them; one lie and one true fact about their daily routines on the board. First, demonstrate it. Then, nominate any volunteer, if not pick a S.
• Show Ss the picture on page 42 and ask them what they think people do in these EnergyPods. Ask if they think it's for going to sleep, having a shower or watching TV. • Ss read the text to check their answers.Tell Ss to underline any unknown vocabulary.
• Put the class into groups and ask Ss to read the article to answer the questions in Ex. 3. • When they're done, hand them the answer key to check.
• Mix Ss and put them into groups again. Hand Ss the cut out materials. • Ask Ss to put the sentences into order by checking the text. • Give FB by showing the order on the border, taking each group's answers one by one. Congratulate the team that has the most correct answers.
• Put Ss into two groups, Yellow and a Red teams. Give them the phrases in cut out pieces. Write "have", "go" and "get" on the board. • Tell Ss that whichever team gets the most correct answers, they win. • Remind them that they can use the text as a guide. • Drill these words.
• Write the example sentences on the board and demonstrate the underlined verbs' meanings. Try to elicit these words Turkish meanings from the Ss. • Show Ss the pictures and check if they understand (as CCQs)
• Mix Ss and put them into pairs. • Write on board:wake up, get up, go to work, eat, relax, go home, get home • Ask Ss to tell each other what they do in a typical day; E.g. when they get up, go to work, eat, relax, get home, etc.Remind Ss they can use the vocabulary on the board.
• Hand the worksheet to Ss and ask them to work in pairs. Tell them to look at the pictures and work out the meanings themselves. • Tell Ss to swap partners and check their answers. • Give the answer key and answer any questions.