To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of giving advice.
To provide specific information listening practice using a text about how couples should manage their money.
To provide vocabulary practice in the context of giving advice, which includes mostly linking words.
Procedure (39-55 minutes)
• Show Ss the picture in Ex. 1. • Ask "What are they talking about? Read this question and talk about it with your partner."
• Ask Ss "Let's read these questions very quickly. 1 minute." about Ex. 2a• • • Tell Ss "Listen very carefully, I'll play it once. Put Jorg's ideas into order." • After the listening, ask Ss "Compare your answers with your partner." • Get FB: d,a,c,b
• Tell Ss "Read these sentences, and complete the sentences from what you remember about Jorg's advices. The first group to hand most answers correctly wins. 7 minutes. Go!" and show Ex 3a. • Play this music if the internet works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPCA7ErrjA • Remind students of the time left. • Announce which group got it correctly first. • After that, hand them the answer key.
• Ask Ss to look at the questions again, this time focusing on the highlighted words. Nominate Ss to explain meanings of the highlighted words. • Write on board ".... + noun" and "..... + subject + verb" • Ask Ss to talk about which expressions could be in which groups. 5 minutes • Take FB and give answers shortly. • Ask Ss In which sentence, 6 or 7, can you use both "so" and "so that"? Answer: 7
• Ask Ss to complete the statements in 4a with different highlighted words from 3a + their own advices in pairs. Give an example. • Ss discuss in groups of 3 and agree on which advice they like the most. Monitor. Get FB quickly.
• Tell Ss to look at the topics and choose one. They'll explain something they know about to their partner. Tell them to think about what ideas they can come up with. 3 minutes. • While they're thinking, write on board "It's important to" "It's a bad idea to" "It's easy to" "It's difficult to" "because" "because of" "as" "since"due to" "so" "so that" • Ask Ss to tell these ideas to their partner using the language on the board. 5 minutes. Monitor.