Speaking & Reading & Listening
Upper Intermediate Level , B2 level
• To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in conversations in the context of " How to .. " and to improve the students' productive skill in the form of speaking with the help of various activities.
• To provide specific information and detailed through receptive skills which are reading and listening. By the end of the lesson, students will have practised the receptive skills by listening that helps them to improve their productive one which is mainly speaking in that lesson.
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
• First T shows the ss a picture relating "Reaching Goals" and asks the ss: - What does this picture mean? - Every one of us has a specific goal in life. What is yours? - Have you tried to reach your goal? How? • Then the teacher writes on the board "smart" and try to elicit the meaning of it . Of course the students may say that its meaning is " intelligent" and I will agree partly but I will refer to the meaning that relating the topic of the lesson and that "SMART" means " Specific , Measurable, Attainable, Realistic , Timely." . Most of the ss may be astonished, but I will try to elicit from them the meaning of the first term then I will give then matching HO to know the meaning of the other terms. After Checking their another I will elicit from them the relation between these terms and our topic of the present lesson. • The ss will work again in groups as matching HO are distributed among them concerning the preparation task.
- T writes key difficult words taken from the extracts and starts clarifying and eliciting their meanings. - T gives Ss the vocabulary handout. - T goes through the example with the whole class. - When finished, get them to check their answers in pairs. - Give the answer key to the students and let them check their answers. - Monitor while they are checking and elicit Ss' answers in F/B. - Refer the ss to Ex. A and tell them they will be involved in P/W as they will match the 5 extracts to the preparation task topics. - After finishing, they will check their answer by using checking answers handout. - F/B checking with the whole class are carried out.
- After finishing the reading exercise , the ss are ready to the listening task and complete the missing parts. - Ss are asked to complete the missing parts in the extracts . Then, they listen to the recording and check their answers . - Checking HO will be handed out to the ss to check their answer . - Put the students in groups and give a dos and don't handout concerning what they have read and listened in the extracts and they are asked to fill out in a limited time. FB Checking and discussion with the whole class start after finishing.
- Group the SS in 3 or 4. - Tell them that in their groups they are going to tell each other about their goals and how they will reach them, - Remind them to take notes about each other's goals. - Inform them they have a limited time, around 5 minutes. - Monitor them when they are working. - In F/B, let volunteers talk about someone's goals in his/her group.