Describing places, wh-questions
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about Capital cities in the context of The created capital city.
To provide review and practice of Wh question words in the context of capital cities
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Have the OH projector ready for the Lesson. - Refresh SS memory about the traveling lesson to smoothly introduce the targeted topic, T asking them the following: * If you are offred a free plane ticket, and had an option to choose any place to fly to. where would you go? answers: France, USA, Italy,...ect * Can you tell me what's the capital city if France, USA,...ect? - Pass out HO's And ask SS to keep them face down till the video starts. - ICQ's to check SS understanding. - T displays a video about capital cities, and invite SS to watch it all together, and answer the quiz. - Ask SS to compare their answers with the person sitting next to them.
- T stands in the power position, take sheet of paper and starts making a paper airplane. then asks SS "What am I doing? making a paper airplane". T explains that making and creating have the same meaning. - T displays a picture of a map, then CCQ's "- what is this? - What do maps refer to, considering school subjects?. - T displays another picture of a parliament, then CCQ's " What's this? what comes first to your mind once you see a parliament? - Pass out HO's to SS and ask them to keep them face down. Display a PP presentation that contains some questions about the text, then give the start signal. - Have SS check in pairs before doing a WC FB.
- Give SS 5 minutes to read the text again, then answer the questions. - Have SS checking their answers in pairs. - Have a WC FB, and Select some SS to write the answers on board.
- T writes some wh questions on board, make SS answer them quickly and get them elicit the rules them selves. * Where is Astana? * What is the population? * When do you come to ITI? * Why do you want to learn English? * How old are you? - T explains the previously mentioned wh question words, and clarify their use and pronunctiation by drilling. - Pass out HO's and ask student to fold their HO's on Activity one. - SS Do the activity, then Check in pairs before doing a WC FB. - Ask SS to unfold the HO work on the second activity in groups. - WC FB, and encourage SS to write the correct answers on board.
- Explain that Astana and Washington aren't the only one created capitals, and that are many others. - Ask SS to work in pairs. - Pass out HO's, give them time to read, and then tell them to ask their partner the questions from activity one about the new city. - Ask SS which of the mentioned created capitals they would most like to visit.