Facts and figures
To provide gist reading practice using a text about numbers in the context of The power of numbers
To provide review and practice of Numbers vocabulary
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- Have the projector ready for stage 4. - T introduces himself to the class and write down his name, age and year of birth. - Ask SS the following questions: * How old are you? * When were you born? - Keep asking SS one by one the same Questions and have them correctly pronounce numbers.
- Pass out HO's to SS and have them putting numbers in the correct order and write the convinient digitals. - Ask students to check their answers in pairs. - Write Nombers from 11 -20 on The WB vertically. - Ask early finishers, or select some students randomly to spell the words correctly, then write them down on board.
- Have SS making small groups of 4, then pass out slips. - Clarify that the first finishers with correct answers will be the winners. - Confirm with SS not to turn the slips till the T gives the start signal. - once the winner group shows up, they will be asked to write down the answers on board. - T reads all numbers written on board asking SS to repeat after him.
- Projection of Some pictures in order to introduce the Pre-reading vocabulary " Lucky, unlucky, common, sequence", and ask some questions. - Wrtie the numbers " 8,3,13" on board, then ask SS what significance numbers might have. - Give them 2 minutes to chat in pairs then discuss it together.
- Ask SS to read silently for one minute, then read the text out loud. - Have students taking turns reading the Three passages. - Have SS working in pairs for 2-3 minutes to exract answers from the text. - Ask SS to provide answers and correct all together.