6b - Junk food
To provide clarification, review and practice of Modifiers in the context of Junk food
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of Theme park
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
- The T says: - I like donuts and I ate a donut. I like donuts and I ate 3 donuts I like donuts and I ate 6 donuts - Emphasize on "6". T use the PPT. Points to the sentences and asks : Which one is strong? Which one is weak? Which one is medium? - Elicits the answers. Ask SS - We need some words to make them weak, medium and strong.
- T shows the modifiers on the WB and tell SS that - these modifiers make adjectives weak, medium and strong. - Model and drill for pronunciation. - T ask SS to write any two adjectives that they can think of. - SS come to the board write the adjective next to the modifiers. - T checks the answer with the WC.
- T points the board and tell SS that - This is a diagrammatic line. - Can you see the modifiers their that make adjectives weak, medium and strong. - Ask SS to complete the diagrammatic line and write the modifiers. SS come to the board and fills it up. - Check answers with WC.
- Split the board into two columns. - Split SS into a corresponding number of teams. Each team lines up in front of their column, a few meters back. Each team has a board marker. - T calls out a category that needs to brainstorm. SS have 2 minutes (or whatever) to write all the words they know in that category ( modifiers and adjectives). - S who is first in line runs to board, writes word, runs back to line, gives pen to next S in line and then goes to back of line (i.e. relay). - The teams are playing against each other (i.e. race). - When time is up, T reviews with SS, totals points to declare the winners.
- T gives instruction for activity 2 (SF, Sbk page-57) - Ask SS to put the modifiers in the brackets into the correct place. - SS complete the given activity individually and then with the WC.
- T shows pictures related to theme restaurant to set the context for the speaking task. - Ask SS about any theme restaurants in Bursa they know. Elicits and writes the students answers on the board. - Then the T distributes modifiers cards to each S and ask SS to use the modifiers card to write about the restaurant they have chosen with the help of given adjectives (SF, Sbk page-57, ex.3). - T gives instruction that they are just doing to write individually and then check their answers in pairs. T monitors and corrects the error if necessary.
- T divides SS in two groups and ask SS to plan their own "theme restaurant" with their group. - SS read the given questions on HO and answer them to complete the task. - T distributes the HO and play music to motivate the SS. - SS change their group after they have planed and describe their theme restaurant to new pair. - T monitor and correct accuracy errors if necessary. - SS share their theme restaurant idea with WC later.