To provide clarification and practice of superlatives based on a text about the longest bus ride in the world in the context of travel
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text about the longest bus ride in the context of travel
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
- T shows the picture with means of transport on the board and elicits the words from students. - T asks students "How do you travel when you go on holiday?" and has them discuss in pairs. - In feedback, T elicits some answers from students and finds out what the most popular means of transport is.
- Reading HO will be folded so that students can only see the map part. - T instructs students to look at the map with their partners and answer the first question."Where does the bus start journey and finish?" - T elicits the answer from students and asks them to unfold the paper. - T instructs students to read the first paragraph of the text and answer the second question "What is the Ozbus? It's the longest bus ride in the world." - T asks some icqs before they start (Are you reading the whole text? Which paragraph are you reading?) - WCFB for students' answers and T underlines their answer on the board. - Students will be ready for scan reading.
- Before instructing students to read the whole text, T focuses students on some blocking vocabulary. - T instructs students to look at the words and their meanings. - T asks some ccqs about the words and quickly models and drills. Backpacker: Does a packpacker stay in 5-star hotels? Does a backpacker have lots of bags? Journey: Is it a journey if I go to Ankara from Istanbul? Passengers: Are they driving the car or the bus? - T shows HO2 to students and instructs them to read the whole text in 5 mins individually and answer the questions. - T asks some icqs (How much time do you have? Are you reading the whole text or just one paragraph? How many questions do you answer?) - Once students finish, they check their answers in pairs. - T tells them to unfold the paper and check their answers in pairs. - WCFB to check if there are any inconsistencies.
- T shows HO3 and tells students that in the first part, there are two sentences from the text and they are going to answer the questions about the sentences. - T instructs students to complete all the tasks on the paper in 6 mins and gives brief explanation for each part. - T asks some icqs (Are you doing all parts or just one? Where do you look to fill in the gaps? How much time do you have?) - Once students start, T offers help to students who are having difficulty completing the task or have stronger students help weaker ones. - If all students have difficulty, teacher instructs students to work in pairs and help each other. - Once students finish the task, T goes over the answers on the board and clarifies the meaning, form and pronunciation on the board.
- T shows students HO4 and tells them it's a conversation between one of the passengers of the Ozbus called Jeff and the interviewer. - T instructs students to fill in the gaps with superlative forms of the adjectives in brackets in 5 mins. - T instructs students to work individually and asks icqs ( How much time do you have? Which form are you going to write in the gaps? Which adjectives do you use?) - When students finish, they check their answers with their partners. - T has students write the answers on the board and asks if everyone agrees with the answers.
- T re-pairs students and has them roleplay the conversation . - Students take turns to change roles - T gives students a piece of paper and asks them to make a list of 5 places they want to visit. (the most exciting, the most beautiful, the hottest, etc.) - T instucts students to find a new partner and tell them about their places. - Students take turns to change partners and talk about their places. - T provides some correction on students' errors while speaking on the board.