Modals of Speculation
To provide clarification and practice of language used for Modal of Speculations in the past in the context of News headlines
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion in the context of n
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
-T tells students that they are going to listen to news about a box of snakes found on the highway. -T asks SS to make their own speculations about the news they have listened. -T asks SS to take notes in case they need to. - T plays the recording 22.22.
-T hands SS a text to help them. - T projects power point slide board that has sentences to help students. - T tries to elicit TL from student, so they can use it. - T instructs SS to work in pairs to make guessing about what could have happened. - T divides SS into two groups and each make their own speculations. - T instructs SS to appoint some one from their group to share there speculations. - T may plays the news again in case students need more help. -WCFB
- Model the marker sentence on board. - T elicits TL from students - WCFB
- T models the marker sentence on board. - T clarifies the meaning. - T checks the concept - T clarifies the form. - T clarifies the pronunciation
- T instructs SS that they are going to do a practice. - T instructs SS that they are going to work individually first., then they can work in pairs to compare their answers. - T hands SS controlled practice. - WCFB - T projects the answers on board.
- T instructs SS that they are going to work in pairs to do another practice. -T hands SS semi-controlled practice. - T instructs SS to work individually first, then compare their answers with a partner. - WCFB -T projects the answers on board.
- T divides SS into groups - T instructs SS that they are going to read different reading text, and they have to make their own speculations. - T hands semi-controlled practice. - T instructs SS to appoint one member in their group to other groups to share their speculations. - WCFB