Modal verbs: Abilities: can/can`t
Elementary A2 level
Grammar:Modal verbs "can /can`t" in the context of Ability,e.g.I can play football,but I can`t surf
Writing : Ss will write about their job or a job they know well.
Procedure (34-48 minutes)
• Show Ss some pictures about abilities • Ask Ss to read the questions individually What are your abilities? What can/can`t you do? • Ask Ss to check the answers with your parner • Elicit the answers from Ss as a whole class
• Ask Ss individually to read text quickly for gist in one minute -Read the text and choose the best title for it. 1) What can he do at home? 2) What can he do at school? 3) What can he do at work? • Ask Ss to chech the answers with partners,and then whole class feedback • Peer correction if necessary.
• Ss will be given instructions about the detailed reading activity. • Ask Ss individually to read the text again and write T/F on the HOs a) He can`t eat for free at work. ______ b) He has a job now. ______ c) He can`t get professional training______ d) He is sad when he got the job. ______ e) He can walk to work. ______ f) He can`t prepare food at home to take______ g) He can`t use a company car. ______ h) He can start and finish earlier some days too. ______ • Ask Ss to check the answers with partners and let Ss to come and write the answers on the WB and whole class feedback - Peer correction if necessary.
• Teacher shows and model one example with "can" from the text *He can prepare food at home • Ask Ss individually to find other examples of 'can and 'can`t in the text shown on the HO • Ask Ss to come up to the WB and highlight the sentences with can or can`t on it • Ss check the answers with partners and then check them as a whole class. • Peer correction if necessary.
• T writes the marker sentence on the board,and ask Ss to read it - I can walk to work / I can`t walk to work • Hand out the HOs and ask Ss to match the questions with the answers individually. • Ask Ss to check the answers with partners and check as a whole class by asking a few Ss to write the the answers on the WB • Clarify the meaning- can:ability to be able to do something or to know how to do something • Elicit the form from Ss • Drill the sentences with Ss for pronunciation,stress and intonation
• Hand out HOs to Ss to do this task individually to complete the gaps with can and can`t in the sentences 1. She is a small baby. She ……… .. eat meat, but she ……… … drink milk. 2. That dress is not expensive. I …………………. buy it. 3. A cat ………………. climb up a tree, but a dog ………………….. . 4. I’m very tired today. I ……… ……. clean my room. 5. John is very short. He ………… …… play basketball very well. 6. We are very hungry, so we …… ………. eat a lot of sandwiches. 7. He is very fat. He ……… ……… run very fast. 8. We ……… …. sleep in the bedroom but we …… …… sleep in the bathroom. • Ss check together and then whole class feedback by writing the answers on the WB. • Peer correction if necessary.
• Show one example to SS and divide Ss into pairs and then ask them to do the rest of them 1) she the piano play can ? can she play the piano? 2) can write e-mails they ? ______________________ 3) TV can I watch ? ______________________ 4) climb the cat can the? ______________________ 5) can pictures brother your draw ? ______________________ 6) parrot can talk the ? ______________________ 7) when you come can ? ______________________ 8) do can we what ? ______________________ • Elicit the answer from Ss and Let them come up and write the answers on the WB • Error correction if possible
•Ask Ss to write a paragraph about their job or school by using can and can`t in their sentences •Ask Ss to swap their paper with partners -Elicit the answers from as a whole class If time allows,I will give Ss another freer practice in order to get them interested to the TL • Ss will be given a cut-up on which there are sentences with "can,can`t E.g: I can walk I can’t walk • Ask Ss to work individually to mime the word written on the cut-ups • Elicit the the answers from Ss as awhole class.